About Rashtra Deepika Ltd
A Legacy Unfolded...The dawn of April 15, 1887 witnessed a rare moment in the history of publishing in Kerela when Deepika, (Nazrani Deepika- as it was initially named) India's first Malayalam Newspaper was first published. A marvel at that time, it was the realization and fulfillment of a long-cherished dream of many, which its Founder Editor Fr. Emmanuel Nidhiry (Nidhirikal Mani Kathanar), a renowned priest and perceptive, creative thinker of those times, initiated and shaped.
The newspaper was initially printed on a crude, hand-made wooden press built by the legendary and far-sighted visionary Carmelite monk, Fr. Kuriakose Elias Chavara (now Saint Chavara) at Mannanam; a remote hamlet near the town of Kottayam in Central Kerela over a quarter century before then. This event further marked the epoch-making but humble dawn of organized, elite, free press journalism in Kerela. The Carmelites of Mary Immaculate (CMI) congregation managed the newspaper till 1989, when it was converted into a Limited Company with public participation named Rashtra Deepika Ltd.; with a view to giving it fresh impetus, added professionalism and new ethos.
- See more at: http://www.deepika.com/includes/about_rd.aspx#sthash.AfGDcBDZ.dpuf